How to Protect Your Belongings When Moving
When you move into a new home, your biggest concern is preventing damage to your household goods. Moving furniture is particularly challenging. That’s why it’s important to purchase the right supplies to protect your furniture from harm. Before moving furniture, get your hands on the following supplies:
- Plastic sheets. Large pieces of plastic can be draped over soft-surfaced items such as couches or upholstered chairs to keep dust, water or dirt from damaging them.
- Moving blankets. Whether you buy or rent these from your local moving company, they’re perfect for protecting hard-surfaced items such as tables, dressers, nightstands, entertainment centers, and more. Be sure the blankets are tightly secured so they don’t come undone during the move.
- Bubble or cardboard corners. You can place these on the corner edges of items such as artwork, pictures, and mirrors. They’ll keep the corners from getting nicked, scratched, or bent.
- Plastic bags. You won’t want couch cushions, blankets or pillows to be exposed to the elements, so throw them into sealable plastic bags for protection. Again, these can often be purchased from your moving company.
- Mattress bags. Available in a variety of sizes – from twin to king – mattress bags are the ideal way to keep your mattresses from being soiled during your move.
- Bubble wrap or newsprint. These items are great for packing fragile items within boxes, but can also be used when moving furniture. Wrap small furniture pieces, such as furniture legs, in these materials to protect them from nicks and scratches.
Purchasing the right supplies is a vital part of moving furniture properly, but you also should consider the following tips:
When loading the moving truck, don’t place heavy belongings on top of soft-surfaced items such as upholstered chairs, mattresses or couches.
Keep all related furniture pieces together during the move – part of protecting your furniture is not losing any pieces, such as doors, table legs, drawers, etc.
Think about hiring a reputable moving company, such as Alliance Relocation Services. We have decades of experience in moving furniture and other belongings. Not only does this mean you don’t have to worry about purchasing the right supplies, but you can relax and let others do the work of protecting your belongings for you.