How Specialty Crating Differs from Conventional Relocation Services
Specialty Crating Versus Traditional Relocation Services
Not all shipping logistics providers offer the same service. Whether you are planning a residential move to your new home or you are a shipping manager with an international organization, you need to do more than simply compare prices when choosing a packing service provider.
There are significant differences between conventional shipping providers and those that offer customized packing and crating services. Understanding those differences will help you determine whether your valuable assets would be better handled by a company that provides tailored packaging solutions.
Specialty Crating and Packaging Providers
If you have items to ship that are expensive, awkwardly shaped, fragile, hazardous, or otherwise difficult to transport, you will want to partner with an organization with extensive experience handling these types of goods and materials. Why? Take a look at the reasons below:
- Superior protection of your assets. After evaluating your unique needs, a professional crating and packaging provider leverages the experience of skilled packaging engineers to determine how your items should be prepared for transportation. This includes specific bracing, crating, and packaging methods. The custom bracing, blocking, and crating goes far beyond putting your valuables in a cardboard box.
- Handling in-transit environmental factors: Vibrations and shock aren’t the only forces that must be addressed when preparing items for shipment. Other in-transit environmental conditions must be considered as well. For instance, fragile items being shipped via ocean transport may be negatively impacted by the humidity of the environment. They may need a vapor-barrier bag with desiccant materials as well as having a specialized vacuum system to remove moisture. A conventional shipping company may not know about these crucial steps. Your items could sustain corrosion damage both externally and internally.
- Extensive experience with international shipping laws. Most shipping companies know how to arrange for a shipment to reach an international destination. However, not every service provider knows all of the laws and regulations surrounding international shipping. There are regulations regarding wooden crates used to ship goods. The wood must be treated to mitigate the risks of spreading disease and pests. Failure to follow these “ISPM 15” regulations may result in your shipment being literally destroyed by customs officials. At the very least, your shipment may be delayed significantly in customs.
- Hazmat experience. Many shipping companies refuse to handle hazmat items. Custom crating and packaging providers will have the experience and knowledge to pack and handle these materials in accordance with ICAO, IATA, IMDG, and 49 CFR regulations.
Better logistics capabilities. An experienced crating and packaging company will have a vetted global network of alliances and partners. They will have insights on how best to prepare goods for shipping from the point of origin to their final destination. This not only saves money and time, it prevents potential delays or obstacles.
- Offer long-term solutions: A specialty packaging and crating company will give expert assistance on your project. At the same time, they will look for ways to provide you with long-term solutions to help you save money in the future. For instance, they can construct reusable crates or hardshell cases. Conventional shipping companies are unlikely to consider ways to help you in the future.
If you are unfamiliar with the capabilities that a specialty packaging and crating service provider has, your first step is to contact us here at Alliance Relocation Services. We can talk with you about the items you have to ship, where it needs to be delivered, and estimate the costs for you.
Give us a call today, and we can answer your questions about the services you will need in preparing your items for shipment, whether it’s a residential or commercial need. Our number is 877-242-0409.